PP Filter Cartridge
Filson PP Filter Cartridge can be specifically classified into pp pleated filter cartridges, pp melt blown filter cartridges, polypropylene membrane filters, pp string wound filter cartridges, pp spun filter cartridge, polypropylene sediment filters, pp candle filters and many more.
You can import our polypropylene filters by custom, or with standard size.
Filson PP Filter Cartridge provides a large surface area for long-lasting filtration efficiency.
Also, Filson PP Filter Cartridge offers increased loading capacity, superior performance and longer life, amongst others.
Compared to other pp cartridge filters manufacturers, Filson PP Filter Cartridge offers the largest selection of sizes, micron ratings, endcap configurations and is cost competitive.
With the Filson’s rich production experience in polypropylene filter industry, we can help you remain competitive by being your OEM partner for Filson polypropylene water filters.
Whether for standard, custom or different dimensions, Filson PP Filter Cartridge offers a perfect solution for all industrial and commercial applications.
Features of Filson PP Filter Cartridge
- 100% polypropylene construction compatible with the broad range of liquids
- Manufactured of FDA-listed materials
- Lengths up to 40 inches
- 2 to 100 micron retention
- High flow and long life for low maintenance
- Various designs: plug-in type, with or without skeleton
- Fixed pore structure eliminates dirt unloading
- Multiple O-ring materials/end configurations choices to fit most filter housings
- Higher temperature and pressure available with molded center core design
- Filter media: Polypropylene (PP)
- Inner core: Polypropylene (PP)
- End caps: Polypropylene (PP)
- Cage : Polypropylene (PP)
- Gaskets/O-Rings options: Buna-N, EPDM, Silicone, Viton, Teflon
- Lengths: 4.5’’, 9.75″, 10″, 20″, 30″, 40″
- Max. temperature: 176°F (80°C)
- Recommended differential pressure: 35 psid (2.4 bar)
- Micron ratings: 0.2, 0.45, 1.0, 2.5, 5.0, 10, 25, 50,75,100 µm
- Paint, Ink
- Water systems
- Food & Beverage
- Pre-filter for RO systems
PP Filter Cartridge: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
In this guide, you will find all information you’re looking for about PP filter cartridge.
From technical specification, filtration technique, classification, features to contaminants it removes, amongst others.
So, if you want to learn more about PP filter cartridge, read this guide.
Let’s dive right in.
- What is a PP Filter Cartridge?
- What are the Applications of a PP Filter Cartridge?
- What are the Features of a PP Filter Cartridge?
- What are Some Technical Specifications of a PP Filter Cartridge?
- Why do you Need a PP Filter Cartridge?
- What are the Parts of PP Filter Cartridge?
- How does a PP Filter Cartridge Work?
- How do you Clean a PP Filter Cartridge?
- How does PP Filter Cartridge and PTFE Filter Cartridge Compare?
- How Does PP and PES Filter Cartridge Compare?
- How does PP and nylon micron filter cartridge compare?
- What is the Material of Construction for a PP Filter Cartridge?
- What Quality Standards should a PP Filter Cartridge Conform to?
- How Does a Surface and Depth PP Filter Cartridge Compare?
- What is Micron Rating in a PP Filter Cartridge?
- What Happens if you Use Poor Quality PP Filter Cartridge?
- How do you Install a PP Filter Cartridge?
- What other Types of Filter Cartridges Exist in the Market?
- What is the Difference Between Absolute and Nominal Micron in a PP Filter Cartridge?
- Does Pressure Drop Affect a PP Filter Cartridge?
- What Factors will Influence the Choice of PP Filter Cartridge?
- Why Should You Replace PP Filter Cartridges?
- How can you Conduct Performance Tests in a PP Filter Cartridge?
- Which Contaminants are not Good for your Health?
- Does a PP Filter Cartridge Require an NSF Certification?
- What are Some Price Determinants of a PP Filter Cartridge?
What is a PP Filter Cartridge?
Polypropylene filter cartridge is filter element that provides excellent dirt holding capability and high removal because of its multiple layer configuration.
It applies advanced microfiber media technology to offer outstanding high flow rates, outstanding micron ratings and great contaminant retention capacities.
The blend of polypropylene media and fiber diameter variation forms gradient density matrix that greatly increases contamination retention capacity and throughputs.
PP Filter Cartridge
What are the Applications of a PP Filter Cartridge?
Polypropylene pleated filter cartridge offers a long service life to utilize in various crucial filtration applications including:
- Food and beverage industries
- Chemical products and solvents
- Wastewater treatment facilities
- Petrochemical industries.
- Filtration of process water.
- Reverse osmosis [RO] pre-filters.
- Paints, inks, and coating applications.
- Electronic industries.
- Pharmaceutical industries.
- Cosmetic industries.
- Photographic paper and film.
- Tape coatings.
- Premix resins solvents.
- Anti-halation coatings.
- Biological fluids.
- De-ionized prefiltration photoresists for water.
- Dispersion of magnetic tapes in metal oxides.
What are the Features of a PP Filter Cartridge?
The common characteristics of PP Filter cartridges include:
- 100 percent polypropylene construction.
- Robust outer cage.
- Thermally welded construction
- End connections fit all conventional housings.
- 1 – 40 Micron ratings.
- No fiber migration.
- Gradient density microfiber media.
- Wide chemical compatibility
- High surface area greater than 0.5 m2/10″ filter.
- Absolute and nominal efficiency.
- Biologically safe.
- FDA approved filters.
What are Some Technical Specifications of a PP Filter Cartridge?
The technical specifications will vary from one PP filter to another.
Here some of the features to consider when specifying a PP filter cartridge to your supplier:
- Material build for the filter media, inner core, cage, and end caps (polypropylene PP).
- Maximum temperature it can handle
- Maximum differential pressure
- Micron ratings
- length of the PP filter cartridge
- O-Rings and gaskets Options (Viton, Teflon, EPDM, or Buna-N)
- Applicable pH value
Why do you Need a PP Filter Cartridge?
The main purpose of a PP filter cartridge is to filter out the contaminants from water and other process fluids.
What are the Parts of PP Filter Cartridge?
It is worth noting that the material used to make all the parts of a PP filter cartridge is polypropylene [PP].
The parts that make up this filter cartridge are:
Parts of PP Filter Cartridge
This part will enable the PP filter cartridge to attach itself to the filter housing.
There are several types of end caps thus the filter cartridge can fit to many types of standard housings.
Inner Support Core
This is the part that will hold the entire PP filter cartridge.
It has pores that allow clean water or process fluid to pass through after undergoing the filtration phase.
It functions by filtering out contaminants and other impurities from the process fluids or water.
The external surface will capture large contaminants while the internal side will capture small contaminants.
Gaskets or O-Rings
This part will create a durable and strong seal between two separate parts
. It assists in preventing leakages from occurring during the filtration process.
How does a PP Filter Cartridge Work?
PP filter cartridge works by holding dirt and preventing it from passing the filtration medium with clean water or process fluids.
Also, it has a high dirt holding capacity and efficiency as it has a high surface area.
Besides, it also operates well under low pressure which other filter cartridges find hard to work in.
Here is how a PP filter cartridge works:
Step one: Installation
In this step, make sure you install the PP filter cartridge correctly.
This will ensure it works efficiently in the application of choice.
Step two: Filtration
Here, you will allow the water or process fluid to pass through the PP filter cartridge.
The fluid will pass through the filtration medium as the contaminants and dirt remain behind.
Also, the large surface area of the filter makes it possible to have a high dirt retention capability.
Besides, allow the fluids to pass through the system under low pressure.
This will allow it to take more time in the system thereby increasing the filtration efficacy.
The inner core offers a robust strength that enables it to allow water to pass through and contaminants to remain behind.
Also, the external filtration layer allows filtration to take place with no media migration.
Step three: Final
After the filtration process, clean fluid will flow out of the system leaving dirt behind.
How do you Clean a PP Filter Cartridge?
It is possible to replace a PP filter cartridge if it happens not to operate well.
Besides, it has a unique design that enables you to clean it when the need arises.
First, you need to gather all tools that will assist you in cleaning the PP filter cartridge.
Then, shut off the flow of water into the filter.
Proceed by uninstalling the PP filter cartridge carefully making sure you do not damage it in the process.
Open the filter housing to access the PP filter cartridge.
Remove the PP filter cartridge and inspect it to assess the dirt level on it.
Next, use a high-pressure system to spray clean water on the PP filter cartridge.
Make sure to do this before the filter dries up due to a lack of fluids.
After spraying with water, allow it to dry in the sun as it has algaecide properties that assist in the cleaning process.
Proceed by shaking or using an air compressor to eliminate loose dirt from the PP filter cartridge.
Besides, one can tap the filter on another surface or using a brush to eliminate the loose particles.
It is important to clean all the PP filter cartridges you are using in the system.
This will ensure that the cleaning exercise will yield an efficient filtration process in the entire system.
The next step involves placing the PP filter cartridge in a bucket then pouring a cleaning agent.
Also, the solution should have six parts of water to one part of the cleaning agent.
Allow the filter to soak properly after pouring the solution into the bucket and covering it with a lid.
When you soak the PP filter cartridge, the solution will break down organic contaminants within the cartridge.
Also, it will destroy all the micro-organisms in the cartridge.
To achieve the best cleaning result, soak the PP filter cartridge for a duration of between three to five days.
Once complete, remove the cartridge and use clean and fresh water to rinse it.
Allow it to dry thoroughly then remove any dirt that may be available by shaking it.
Proceed by soaking the PP filter cartridge in a solution of water and muriatic acid.
This will assist in dissolving all the minerals in the filter cartridge media.
Dip the filter cartridge in the solution and make sure there are no bubbles forming.
The production of bubbles means the acid is reacting with the solution thus, the cleaning process is occurring.
After that, rinse it in clean fresh water, then allow it to dry before installing it correctly.
How does PP Filter Cartridge and PTFE Filter Cartridge Compare?
Here is the comparison between PP Filter Cartridge vs. PTFE Filter Cartridge:
PP Filter Cartridge
This filter will eliminate particles from the fluid. It has a high dirt holding capacity and a high adsorption performance than PTFE.
Also, the construction is entirely polypropylene [PP].
PTFE Filter Cartridge
They are of two classes: hydrophilic and hydrophobic PTFE [polytetrafluoroethylene].
Hydrophilic PTFE will assist in filtering liquids while hydrophobic will filter gases.
According to the process design, they can be continuous mold or cast film.
This material offers strong stability to chemicals, resistance to strong acids, alkali, and organic solvents.
The liquid flux in hydrophilic PTFE is generally poor.
How Does PP and PES Filter Cartridge Compare?
Here is the how PP Filter Cartridge vs. PES Filter Cartridge compare:
- PP Filter Cartridge
The Filter cartridge type will remove particles from the fluid.
It features a high dirt retention capability and high adsorption performance than PES filter cartridge.
Moreover, it is wholly made of polypropylene.
Pleated PP Filter Cartridge
- PES Filter Cartridge
The advancement of polyethersulfone microporous membrane is high.
Besides, the pores of the polyethersulfone membrane account for over 80% of the membrane volume.
The main features of PES Filter Cartridge include:
- They are Hydrophilic
- Free from surfactants and surface lubricants.
- High filtration accuracy.
- Wide range of pH values.
- Low adsorption capabilities for proteins and valuable biological agents.
- High dirt holding capacity.
- Highly resistant to chemicals and thermal stability.
- Resistant to reverse and positive shocks of pressure.
How does PP and nylon micron filter cartridge compare?
Here is the comparison between PP Filter Cartridge and Nylon Micron Filter Cartridge:
Nylon Micron Filter Cartridge
This is a hydrophilic membrane.
The construction material is nylon and polypropylene.
It is suitable for chemical requirements as it has non-adhesive and non-fiber-shed.
The main properties of Micron Nylon Filter Cartridge are:
- It has stable hydrophilic properties, flexible, and with a high rejection rate.
- Excellent chemical resistance.
- It is suitable for the filtration of organic solvents.
- Also, it offers resistance to reverse and forward pressure shocks.
What is the Material of Construction for a PP Filter Cartridge?
The material the makes up a PP filter cartridge is Polypropylene [PP].
Besides, the gaskets and O-rings can be from silicone, Teflon, Viton, Buna-N, or Teflon Encapsulated Viton.
What Quality Standards should a PP Filter Cartridge Conform to?
Conforming to quality standards ensure that the filter is safe for use.
Some of the quality standards that your chosen filter cartridge should comply with include:
USP Class VI
This means it meets the USP class VI which is for Biological Test for Plastics.
Food and Drug Administration [FDA]
It means the materials adhere to FDA Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
This covers sections 174.5, and 177.1520 as applying for food and beverage conduct.
European Directive for Direct Food Contact
This involves European Regulation numbers 1935/2004 and European Regulation 10/201.
It will test for any migration behaviors.
Also, it tests to see if it is suitable for contact with food items of various kinds while enduring minimal rinse-up.
How Does a Surface and Depth PP Filter Cartridge Compare?
Here is how the two types of PP Filter Cartridge compare:
Surface PP Filter Cartridge
A surface PP filter cartridge will eliminate contaminants on the surface of the filter.
It uses a sheet of polypropylene that feature a large surface area that will enhance the filtration process.
The contaminants will remain on the surface of the filter hence aid with the filtration of fluids.
Also, it is possible to wash and reuse a surface PP filter cartridge.
Depth PP Filter Cartridge
This cartridge will eliminate dirt and other contaminants within the filtration medium.
It is suitable if you are planning to filter water that contains particles of varying sizes.
Besides, they have a high dirt holding capability than surface PP filter cartridges with no loss in pressure.
What is Micron Rating in a PP Filter Cartridge?
Micron is a measurement unit that is the same as one one-thousand of a millimeter.
It is the size of the opening in a PP filter cartridge that will enable it to filter out contaminants of varying sizes.
A small micron size will eliminate the smallest of the particles while a large one eliminates only the large particles.
A micron size less than 40 is invisible to the naked eye.
A PP filter cartridge has a micron rating between 0.1 and 40 micrometres.
The micron rating of PP filter cartridge is dependent on the fluid you are filtering as the contaminants come in different sizes.
Select a micron rating that allows the removal of all contaminants depending on your usage.
Polypropylene Filter Cartridge
What Happens if you Use Poor Quality PP Filter Cartridge?
The effects of using poor quality PP filter cartridge include:
Leaching of chemicals in the process fluid will negatively affect the quality of the final product.
Chemicals that may leach include:
ii. Resin binders
iii. Release agents
They will mix with the fluid thus decreasing the quality and efficiency of the filtration.
One can inhibit this from occurring by:
- Prewashing the PP filter cartridge then using it.
- Allowing the liquid to flow in the material before officially starting to use it.
The best way of ensuring no leaching happens is to ensure PP filter cartridges are 100% free from these chemicals.
Using polypropylene that is smooth and round can make it shift in position within the PP filter cartridge.
This shift in position can happen during:
i. Knife-edge sealing.
ii. Pressure and flow fluctuations.
It leads to the formation of gaps in the filtration medium and the dismantling of the pattern.
This will negatively affect the filtration efficiency.
Besides, it will be difficult to create an accurate micron rating.
The best polypropylene Filter Cartridge enables you to achieve the best fluid filtration.
Bad quality material will loosen and shift within the system thus deteriorating the filtration process.
Weakening of the material may happen due to:
i. Inconsistent flows.
ii. Roughly handling the PP filter cartridge.
iii. Poor packaging.
iv. Wear and tear during knife-edge sealing.
How do you Install a PP Filter Cartridge?
The procedure of installing PP filter cartridge is as follows:
1) Identify the inlet and outlet valves.
2) Align the piping system properly and do not press the PP filter cartridge.
3) Including shutoff valves is optional as it assists in draining of contents during replacement of the cartridge.
4) Install the correct filter cartridge size on inlet and outlet valves, and connect the piping.
5) Refer to the PP filter cartridge manual for the correct connection of the parts.
6) Align then close the seals and gaskets.
7) Open the shutoff valves and allow the fluid to enter the PP filter cartridge.
8) Refer to the manual to make sure the reading of the differential pressure is correct.
What other Types of Filter Cartridges Exist in the Market?
Here are the other types of filter cartridge that you will find in the market:
Alkaline Ionizer Filter Cartridge
These filter cartridges will add the natural minerals that other filters got rid of.
The minerals will boost the pH of water thus balancing it.
They assist water to have more oxygen, electrolytes, and antioxidants that are good for human health.
Reverse Osmosis Filter Cartridge
This has a dense membrane that enables it to eliminate the tiniest of particles.
They are reliable at eliminating everything from water, including foul taste, odors, and pesticides.
Ceramic Filter Cartridge
These filter cartridge types have a positive charge that makes them attract bacteria.
Then, the silver in the filter will distribute metal ions with a positive charge to destroy bacteria.
Also, they have a long lifespan than other filters as they do not fill up with contaminants.
Besides, they only eliminate bacteria and will not filter out particles.
Sediment Filter Cartridge
These will eliminate sediments, dirt, silt, scale, rust, and sand from water.
However, it will not eliminate microscopic organisms, chemicals, or bacteria.
They are suitable to eliminate contaminants with a micron size of or above 1.
Sediment Filter Cartridge
Ultraviolet Filter Cartridge
This filter cartridge is different from the other as the fluid will not pass through it.
A light bulb inside the canister will kill microorganisms and bacteria.
This bulb will release ultraviolet light to destroy the DNA of these organisms.
Also, UV filters offer the best way of destroying algae, cysts, viruses, fungi, salmonella, dysentery, etc.
The bulbs remain on all the time and you can measure the lifespan by hours of run.
Activated Carbon Filter Cartridge
Charcoal is the main component and it is an affordable way of eliminating harmful contaminants.
Besides, these filters will not alter the mineral content of water.
Also, they are not reliable for eliminating sales, sediments, or minerals.
They are suitable for removing chlorine, volatile organic compounds, and other chemicals.
What is the Difference Between Absolute and Nominal Micron in a PP Filter Cartridge?
An absolute PP filter cartridge has pore sizes that match its micron rating.
On the other hand, Nominal PP filter cartridge has pores sizes approximate to their micron rating.
For example, a nominal 30-micron PP filter cartridge will allow small amounts of contaminants with a 30-micron size to pass through.
Absolute PP filter cartridges are highly efficient thus do not allow contaminants matching their micron rating to pass through it.
Select an absolute PP filter cartridge to ensure an accurate filtration process.
However, it is easy to find nominal PP filter cartridges than absolute PP filter cartridges.
Check this guide to see which micron rating is suitable for your application:
- Contaminants as thick as human hair need a micron rating of 50.
- A micron rating of 40 is suitable for contaminants invisible to the naked eye.
- Contaminants similar in size to white blood cells require a micron rating of 25.
- To eliminate contaminants equal in size to red blood cells require a micron rating of 8.
- A micron rating of 2 can eliminate most bacteria.
Does Pressure Drop Affect a PP Filter Cartridge?
Yes, a pressure drop will influence when it is time to chance a PP filter cartridge.
Pressure drop is a difference between incoming pressure and outgoing pressure.
Fluids experience resistance as it tries to pass through a PP filter cartridge.
When the pressure drop increases, it means the filter has more contaminants, thus it is at the maximum capacity.
What Factors will Influence the Choice of PP Filter Cartridge?
Here are the factors to consider when selecting a Polypropylene Filter Cartridge:
- Filtration Rate
Select a filter cartridge that will measure up to your operational capacity.
- Quality of Fluid
Ensure the filter will eliminate all the contaminants as per your application needs.
The amount you have will influence the PP filter cartridge you can purchase.
- Quality Standards
Make sure it conforms to international standards.
- Installation and Maintenance
It should be easy to install, clean, and replace.
- Operating Cost
Make sure it does not require extra accessories to operate.
Ensure the PP filter cartridge is the right size for your needs.
- Micron Rating
Make sure it can eliminate all contaminants as per your application.
- Temperature and Pressure Ratings
The operational temperatures and pressure are important factors that affect its efficiency.
Why Should You Replace PP Filter Cartridges?
It is important to replace a filter when it does not offer an efficient filtration process.
This will allow you to have clean water or process fluid for your application.
PP Filter Cartridge
How can you Conduct Performance Tests in a PP Filter Cartridge?
There are two ways of conducting performance test in PP filter cartridge:
Full Performance Test
One will conduct two tests in this method: Before and after filtration.
A full performance test determines how effective the PP filter cartridge is by evaluating the contaminants before and after filtration.
This is the most effective test of the two.
Here, you will analyze the fluid after filtration.
It determines the efficacy of the filtration and you will monitor the levels of contaminants.
Besides, it is affordable to conduct since it is a single test.
Which Contaminants are not Good for your Health?
The contaminants that are harmful to human health include:
Does a PP Filter Cartridge Require an NSF Certification?
Yes, NSF certifies the capability of this filter to eliminate certain contaminants.
This certification means that the filter has a:
- Solid structure
- Durable material construction.
- Free from chemicals that may leach.
- 100% accurate test results and labels.
Some NSF certifications include:
- NSF Standard 53
- NSF Standard P473: PFOA/PFOS
- NSF Standard 58
- NSF Standard P231
- NSF Standard 42
- NSF Standard 401
What are Some Price Determinants of a PP Filter Cartridge?
Some of the factors that determine the price of PP Filter Cartridge include:
- Micron rating
At FilSon Filters, we help you get the best PP filter cartridge, which meets the specific needs of your applications.
Contact us today for all your PP filter cartridge needs.