Filson: Your Reliable Column Frits Supplier in China
Filson column frit is a mass of small particles combined together through a strictly controlled process of compression and heat. After the manufacturing process, there are pores distributed uniformly on or inside the frit to form numerous paths for fluid.
Filson column frit is usually placed on a column body to retain the packing media and provide a uniform flow of sample through the column, as well as reducing the hold-up volume. The product is able to resist high pressure and corrosion, so as to be widely used for multiple applications.
Filson works in close cooperation with customers all over the world and from various fields. So far, we have gained a good reputation in the industry. We believe, with Filson’s profound expertise, we can provide the highest level of technical assistance for you and solve all your problems about column frits.
Filson Column Frits
Why Choose Filson Column Frits
Superior Quality: Quality and price may be the top two factors you would concern about when you buy column frits. Filson is aiming at producing the highest quality column frits at a competitive price for all of you to guarantee efficiency during the operation process.
On-demand Customization: You can enjoy a custom service at Filson. Each column frit will be produced completely according to your specific requirements. Thus, the final product can perform well in your existing filtration system and provide you with increased profits.
Continuous Optimization: Though Filson has been an expert through more than 20 years’ exploration in column frits designing and manufacturing, we are still upgrading and optimizing our production line and integrating global advanced technologies to bring better column frits for our customers.
Intimate Service: Filson is a company that has been keeping up with core customer needs and fully cooperating with customers. We have rich experience in communicating with customers and know exactly what they need. Filson provides responsible service through the whole process from pre-sale to after-sale to support your column frits projects.
Quality and Versatile Column Frits for Your Application
Filson column frit is a pressed and sintered porous media used in high pressure/performance liquid chromatography ( HPLC ) columns to filter and separate microbial and inorganic impurities. It not only effectively protects columns from particulate contamination but also evenly distributes the sample to achieve a high column efficiency.
Custom SPE Column Frits
Filson column frit is commonly equipped near the fluid inlet to block the particles inside the fluid and further realize the filtration purpose. Sometimes, you can mount frits at both ends ( inlet and outlet ) of your column, one is mainly used for filtering and the other one is used for retaining the packing media and conducting a secondary filtration.
Filson carries a complete production line of column frits. And through the use of our stainless steel frit, HPLC column frit, spin-column frit, PEEK frit, or other economical column frits, your specific chromatography application requirements can be perfectly satisfied.
HPLC Column with Frit
Filson uses a variety of alloys to fabricate column frits. Among which stainless steel is for standard use, titanium is also another popular material, as well as highly corrosion resistant Hastelloy for bio-inert applications. This full metal construction design maximizes the durability of the frit.
In addition to metal materials, Filson column frits can also be made of PTFE, polypropylene, polyethylene, glass, PEEK, and other unique materials based on your requirements. They are all pressed and bonded closely together to realize your desired pore size.
Filson column frit is always designed into a disc shape and with a quality sealing ring around it. The ring materials are optional from PEEK, PCTFE, PTFE, and ETFE. If you have special needs for the ring, just tell our representatives and they will handle it.
PE Frit for SPE Column in Chromatography
Equipped with the sealing ring, the Filson column frit is well protected from high pressure and temperature. At the same time, the presence of the sealing ring ensures efficient filtration through columns without sample leakage.
Generally, the outside diameter of the sealing ring will be larger than that of the Filson column frit disc itself, it is about 0.062’’ – 0.88’’. And the frit disc diameter can range from 0.062’’ to 0.75’’ with a thickness of 0.028’’ – 0.062’’.
Plus: Filson provides a custom service. All the dimensions of Filson column frits are able to be changed and tailored to meet customer-specific application needs.
Schematic of a Typical Analytical HPLC Column
With the powerful support of our professional engineering team and advanced filtration technologies, Filson column frits possess a large number of amazing properties, such as uniform pore size distribution, high column efficiency, good corrosion resistance, and long service life.
Besides, Filson column frit is cleanable which could save the replacement or purchasing costs. However, a new one would be a better choice than cleaning the old one for the replacements won’t spend too much. Furthermore, incorrect cleaning methods may lead debris back to the instrument.
The Position of Frit in a Column
Filson, as one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers in the field, is always ready to help deal with all challenges during your filtration process. Except for column frits, you can get any other filter media you want at Filson.
We are looking forward to being your reliable advisor infiltration and establishing a cooperative relationship with you in the future. Contact us now!
Filson Column Frits Function:
- Prevent pump, expensive hardware, and whole system from damage
- Remove or block particulate matter from the solvent/fluid
- Provide excellent sealing and filtering effect at the same time
- Minimize the purchasing cost compared to traditional product
- Reduce the number of additional connections in your system
- Introduce uniform flow of sample into the column
Filson Column Frits Feature:
- Exceptional uniform porosity for stable column performance
- Quality manufacturing materials for longer filtration life
- Careful ring design for column frits to ensure a proper seal
- High column efficiency to achieve the final filtration purpose
- High peak efficiency for minimum sample retention in end cups
- The complete distribution of sample uniformly into column
- Suitable for high pressure and highly corrosive applications
View of a Column
Filson Column Frits Specification:
- Frit material: stainless steel, titanium, PTFE, polypropylene, polyethylene, glass, PEEK
- Sealing ring material: PEEK, PCTFE, PTFE, ETFE, metal
- Operation pressure: >5000 psi or 345 bar
- Pore size/filtration accuracy: 0.2 – 20μm
- Shape: disc, cylinder
- Disc diameter: 0.062’’ – 1.3’’
- Disc thickness: 0.028’’ – 0.125’’
- Ring OD: 0.062’’ – 1.5’’
Note: material, pore size, shape, and dimension are customizable, consult Filson for more details.
Filson Column Frits Application:
- Chemical engineering
- Pharmaceutical industry
- Medical industry
- Food and beverage
- Environmental protection industry
- Agricultural science
- Science research
Right Column Frit for Your Application
People Also Ask
Firstly, there is something we should know about chromatographic. It seems very unfamiliar to all of us, but it is a good assistant to science researchers who are always working in laboratories.
Chromatography is a physicochemical analysis method that uses the difference in the forces ( partitioning, adsorption, ion exchange, etc ) between different solutes ( samples ) and stationary phases and mobile phases to achieve its purpose.
When the two phases do relative movement, each solute is equilibrated between the two phases several times, so that the solutes reach mutual separation. In simple terms, chromatography is an analytical technique that separates the components of a mixture.
After knowing the chromatographic, it’s easy to understand what the chromatographic column is. Obviously, it is a part of the instrumentation used in chromatography and called a column. Chromatographic columns can be divided into two categories: analytical and preparative, according to their applications, you can choose different size specifications.
The five chromatographic methods that use columns are gas chromatography ( GC ), liquid chromatography ( LC ), ion-exchange chromatography ( IEC ), size exclusion chromatography ( SEC ), and chiral chromatography. The basic principles of chromatography can be applied to all five methods.
Column frit is a more narrow concept compared to a chromatographic column. As the name implies, column frit is a component used in a column. Usually, column frit shows as a disc form and there is also a cylinder shape. So it is also called a column frit disc, screen, or plate.
The main purpose of using column frits is to retain the packing media inside the column. At the same, column frit leads a uniform and stable flow of samples to the column to improve the total efficiency.
And the most important thing is that the column frit prevents the column from damaging by the particles and contaminants inside the sample. It is a vital benefit because the column and its system are expensive.
After getting the HPLC column and column frit, you are supposed to read the manual first to understand their specific properties of them, such as temperature tolerance, pH tolerance, the cleaning method, and storage conditions.
Some others are listed below:
- Before normal use, do the test to confirm the HPLC column and frit have no problem.
- Make sure that the sample is fully pre-treated to ensure its cleanliness. Use the protection column or in-line filter, and replace the column frit according to the actual situation.
- Avoid sharp changes in pressure, temperature, and any mechanical vibration.
- The composition of the solvent should be changed gradually, especially in reversed-phase chromatography. If buffer salts are used in the mobile phase, you should avoid the salt precipitation which will influence the performance of column frit.
- Choose to use the appropriate mobile phase ( especially pH ) to avoid destruction of the stationary phase.
- During the use of the HPLC chromatography column, if the pressure rises or pollution occurs, choose the appropriate conditions to flush or backflush and change the column frit.
To use your column and column frit more efficiently, you can consult Filson’s veteran engineering team for professional advice.
As a crucial part of the chromatographic system, column frit is always made of a large variety of materials to meet the different application needs. It is generally sintered of various metals or polymers.
Stainless steel, as the most popular material in all sorts of industries, is available to manufacture column frit. It has high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance to be applied to harsh environments.
In addition to stainless steel, other metals and alloys are also ideal materials to fabricate column frits, such as titanium, Hastelloy, and nickel. What’s more, polymers including PTFE, polypropylene, polyethylene, glass fiber, PEEK are suitable for producing column frit as well.
Column Frits Made of Different Materials
After a period of use, the column frit may be clogged and result in less efficiency, so you need to clean or replace the frit.
- Backflushing is recommended when your column frit is losing efficiency. It is the best and safest approach because it is non-intrusive. If you remove the end fitting to get the column frit, you risk disturbing the packing bed, this is especially true for resin-based materials.
Remember to remove or change the column frit only if backflushing doesn’t clear up the problem.
- After dismounting the frit, you can scrub off the remaining residue using a soft brush, taking care not to damage the frit. ( Warm tip: you’d better not grab the frit directly by your hands, wear sanitary gloves to avoid the oil on your skin to further clogging the frit. )
- Or you can clean the column frit using appropriate solvents and vacuum filtration. ( Warm tip: always make sure that your cleaning solution is compatible with the chemical residues on your frit. )
- Allow the frit to dry and install it back to the column.
If your problems are not solved by the methods above, please feel free to consult Filson, we are willing to help all the time.
How to Remove and Clean the Column Frit